Rally Today Against Insurance Company Greed, and Other Health Care News
Today, health insurance industry bigwigs are meeting in Washington, D.C., to plot out their strategy to defeat health care reform. We’ll be rallying to show them that we won’t accept anything less than affordable, high-quality coverage for everyone.
Here’s what else is happening in the fight for health care:
- Health insurance companies, drug companies and their front groups have been breaking records in their fight to keep control over our health care, spending millions this summer on TV and lobbying in D.C.
- Senators are looking to rein in the insurance industry by ending the industry’s exception from anti-trust laws.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is taking the lead on fighting for a public option to compete with insurers.
- So is actress Heather Graham, in a great new ad by MoveOn.
- Thanks to the catastrophic loss of jobs during this economic crisis, some 4 million people have lost health coverage, Families USA reports.
- Alliance for Retired Americans members Phil Feaster and Judy Cato join health care experts in a new video to explain why health reform will help seniors get better prescription drug coverage and preventative care.
- Supporters of health care reform aimed to deliver 100,000 phone calls to Congress on Tuesday. Instead, they made more than 300,000 calls.
- When an anti-reform “expert” came to Capitol Hill to claim that reform along French, Swiss or German lines would increase bankruptcies, Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) set her straight. (Thanks again, Minnesota!)
- In Sacramento, Calif., hundreds of people showed up for an overnight vigil for health care reform that started Monday and ran through Tuesday, and health care supporters met Tuesday in Bakersfield as well.
- Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) has set up a new website to honor and raise awareness about the thousands who die from lack of health coverage every year.