By Doug Cunningham
SEIU Local 73 in Chicago is spearheading an effort within SEIU to help returning military veterans find jobs, job training and support through employer partnership initiatives. Phil Martini is Vice President of Local 73.
[Martini]: “It initially started as outreach to wounded warriors and returning vets and placing them into jobs within our jurisdiction. It’s evolved from that point to where now we’ve made employer partnership initiatives with almost every government agency in the state of Illinois.”
Senator Tom Harkin: Momentum And Votes Are There For Healthcare Reform With A Public Option – 10/19/09
By Doug Cunningham
[Harkin1]: “The momentum is there. We’re not gonna get stopped by the obstructionists. I believe we will have the votes. And I believe we will have a bill on the president’s desk before Christmas.”
Senate HELP Committee Chair Tom Harkin of Iowa. He says real health care reform is coming, with a public option.
[Harkin 2]: “Yes it will have a public option. We have one in our HELP bill. Four of the five committees that reported the health bill all had a public option. Huge majority of the American people want a public option.”
President Obama Urges Every Member Of Congress To Stand Against Deceptive Insurance Lobby On Healthcare Reform – 10/19/09
In his weekly radio address to the nation over the weekend, President Obama blasted the health insurance political lobby for using its power to attack real healthcare reform.
Union Plus has expanded its “Green” programs that not only help protect the environment, but can put a little “green” back into your pocket through savings on home heating oil, energy-efficient vehicles, home energy audits and more.
The newest green program from Union Plus is the Green Scholarship program. Union Plus is providing $5,000 in scholarships for the National Labor College’s (NLC’s) Green Workplace Representative Program, to teach union activists how to convert individual workplaces to sustainable environments.
Union Privilege President Leslie Tolf says:
With these programs and others, union workers can lead the way forward in a thriving green economy, embracing change and overcoming challenges to protect our families, our environment and our future.
Check out theses new green programs:
- Home Energy Audit: Qualify for up to $300 rebates on home improvement purchases based on recommendations of a home energy audit. Minimum purchase required with your Union Plus Credit Card.
- Green Cars: Purchase a union-made, EPA-approved green vehicle through the Union Plus Auto Buying program and get a $200 rebate.
- Home Heating Oil: Participate in the Union Plus Home Heating Oil program, by purchasing new, energy-efficient home heating equipment and receive a $100 rebate.
- Union HVAC Service: Collect a one-time $50 rebate when you purchase an annual service contract with a union HVAC professional.
- Green Scholarship: Apply for a scholarship for the NLC’s Green Workplace Certificate Program.
- Blue Green Alliance: Support the Blue Green Alliance with a direct donation or Union Plus will make one on your behalf when you qualify for a home energy audit rebate.